Monday, July 20, 2015

Hermana Schmidt Week 43 Letter 07/20/15


From: Nicole Schmidt [mailto:nicole.schmidt@myldsmail.net]
Sent: 07/20/2015 10:17 AM
To: Bunney Schmidt
Subject: Look At All the Blessings!

Hola a todos! 

Happy birthdays this week to my cousins Noah and Jerrett, I hope they are wonderful ! :) 

I'm sorry I didn't write but I'll let you all know why. I had to get a small operation done in the hospital a week and a half ago to remove a kidney stone and put in a stent. It's been a super painful process, but a SUPER growing one too. It's so true that ''good timber does not grow with ease, the stronger the wind the stronger the trees!''

Just so you all know the 4 baptisms on the 11th went off without a hitch and were AMAZING. The spirit was so strong and it really testified to me that I was in the right place. I'm so grateful to my Lord for this incredible opportunity to be one of his missionaries! 

And I thought i'd update you on the 4 of them and how they are doing, as well as Daniela, our convert who got baptized in May. 

1. Daniela. She is doing wonderful!! She is teaching with us as we are teaching and sharing with her mother! Her testimony is so strong. 

2. Jose Miguel. He is super excited about the gospel and wants to serve a mission! He is helping us teach his brother, Fidel, who has shown a ton more interest and really has a grand potential. 

3. JESSICA. She is just on fire with the gospel!! She wants to leave with us all the time and all she talks about is ''In 8 months i'll get to turn in my mission papers!!'' ''I can't wait to be a missionary!!'' ''Just think in a year I could have my own nametag!!'' It's so special. We had a super cool experience with her this week. She left for an afternoon with us to teach and this man started bashing on her so super hard for her decision to be baptized and said, ''You don't know the history of your church and your own beliefs! Your church is all about polygamy and has ridiculous beliefs.'' That is the first time, I Hermana Schmidt, have had any opposition said like that in my whole mission. But Jessica stayed super composed and responded afterwards, ''Thanks for your comments. I just want you to know that I know this church is true. I prayed about my decision and it wasn't because of the missionaries that I chose to be baptized in this church. It was from a burning feeling from the Holy Ghost that caused me not to sleep for two nights. I just know it's true! All of it.'' Needless to say, she will be a ROCKIN missionary in a year! She is also teaching her sister with us. 

4. Pedro and Jorge. They are teaching with us as we teach their parents. They have gotten into a steady habit of reading the sciptures and the Liahona! For two young boys, that is so very impessive. His dad has seen a change in them which has caused him to have more interest in the church.

I just wanted to share that update because it's so special how strong these converts are and their willingness and desire to share the gospel with their own family members. I'm so very impressed with them, and hope to be more like them and always have a fire to share the gospel! It is the best!!

Last, after I was in the hospital I was told to take it easy. And... knowing me.... taking it easy was like ''Okay lets just work the afternoon but lets walk 15 miles.'' And that resulted in more pain and a new UTI. It hasn't been easy and I had to go see the doctor again but, I had the most touching experience in the hospital on Saturday. 

I was sitting there, frustrated and in pain, literally praying so hard in my heart for something, anything to pull me out of this dark hole. Well, side note. My mom wrote me this week and told me she was praying fervently for my health. When I read that today, I really felt like the Lord answered her prayer in an unusual but special, special way. 

Yeah, we were all hoping I would be better by now and up to full speed. But here I was, sitting in the hospital, not ever wanting to see another hospital again. An older woman had been there waiting for a family member and had been observing us and my conversations with the doctor for the morning, and she had seen one of my more painful moments. So as I was sitting there, she stood up and asked me ''How are you feeling?'' I said, ''Well... More or less.'' She said, 

''where is your mom?'' 

I said, ''The US''

She said, ''Stand up for a second.''

I wasn't feeling very well enough to stand so I was a little hesitant, but something just told me stand. 

She said, ''I know your mom would love to be here for you at a moment like this. And I know you would love a hug from her. But you can hug me, and pretend that it's your mom. Maybe that can help you just a little bit.''

We embraced. I sobbed. 

I knew it was an answered prayer, to my many prayers and my mom's. Even though she was far away, I felt the love of my mom very close. Heavenly Father was able to work through a stranger because the stranger was willing.

How often do we look out for the people who are hurting? The people who simply need a hug? The people who just need something, anything to pull them out of a dark hole. 

I hope I can answer more prayers for other people, as this woman did mine. May we all be more like this selfless, loving woman. 

We can always choose to look at the trials, or the blessings. But... I've learned there really is no difference when we focus on the blessings. The trials ARE blessings because we grow and we come to see that God really loves us and is so aware of us! 

Hurrah for Israel!!


-Hermana Schmidt 

her new companion Hermana Jackson

Her zone on transfer day
I mustache you a question

No comments:

Post a Comment