Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hermana Schmidt Week 18 Letter 01/26/15

From: Nicole Schmidt [mailto:nicole.schmidt@myldsmail.net]
Sent: 01/26/2015 8:57 AM
Subject: Adios English

Hola a todos!!

So this week my email will not be nearly as pathetic as last time I promise! 

1st off. On our way home from emailing last week, Hna. Fletcher slipped in the mud, landed on her foot, and crack! FRACTURED IT! So we had to go get x-rays, go to doctors, and spend a lot of time in the house this week. Which was kind of sad for her last week, however we still had a lot of great adventures! :) And because we had to stay in a lot, I finished the Book of Mormon a day earlier than I thought! Reading the whole thing again in 17 days was a great, great thing to do! I don't know if i'll do it again on the mission that fast, but it was a great experience. Especially to read pretty along with Smith and Kevin!! They are just over-achievers ;) 

So on Saturday morning we went to Gazcue (the cool part of Santo Domingo) where the mission office is, for Hermana Fletchers going home meeting. All the people who weren't going home, went on splits with the missionaries in the Gazcue area and guess who I went with.... HERMANA TRIPLETT!! And her companion, Hna Gingel. It was a lot of fun. And we saw really cool things in their area! Including, Columbus's first house in the new land, the house of the royals, the land of the ruins... it was SWEET. But... I forgot my camera.... :(. One day there will be pics of me there though, don't you worry! 

Later that day was Kevin's baptism- and also his little sister Scarlett who the other hermanas taught. One by the one the whole family is getting baptized! 4/6 of the kids will be members by the end of February. So now we just have to help the parents and the other 2 sisters and we have a whole new family in the church!! AH. :) Then they all move to Chicago in February or March. Kevin says he wants to apply to BYU new year when he's 17, and then serve a mission in 2 years. I think being in the states will really help him! And I'm so excited for him!! I might go to school with my 1st convert :') Who knew? The baptism went beautifully!! There were some trials right before, but it all ended up just perfect. I was tearing up the whole time just seeing the glow that Kevin had! It was really, really special. 

Sunday he was confirmed. In his confirmation he was promised if he stayed valiant he would serve a mission and later have an eternal family in the temple! It was so powerful, and once again.. the tears were rising the whole time! I have no doubt that he can stay strong in the gospel. He is incredible. 

So now the big news...

I'm Staying in Los Frailes!! I'm the only one staying in our house. Our house was all from UT, which is rare. So all english speakers! And now.... 3 hermanas are moving in who only speak spanish!! My companion is Hermana Pichardo. She is dominican! I can't wait to meet her!! So i'm going to have an all spanish home now!! Ah!! 

I'm really excited, but really nervous. But, I know that this is the Lord's mind and will and he will help me. He truly is there for us and can make us capable of accomplishing the things he asks us to do (1 Nephi 3:7). I think of the quote:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks! Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle-- you shall be the miracle!!" - Phillips Brooks

I know he can change me and qualify me for the next adventure. Because without him, I really am nothing. But with him, I know all things are possible! (Phililpians 4:13). 

So yes, i'm nervous. Because it's the unknown. But I'm really grateful to not just step but leap into the darkness and trust that Heavenly Father will open up the way. It's a cool opportunity to have faith, and for that I am grateful. 

I love you all, thanks for your support. 

Hurrah for Israel!! :)


Hna Schmidt :) 

Angelin the first member of Kevin's family to get baptized

Her first baptism Kevin and his sister who was taught by roommates also baptized

with Diego, a great ward member missionary

with Kevin and family

with Nayelin who will be baptized soon

Kevin after getting confirmed

with Kevin after getting confirmed

with Kevin after getting baptized

with Hermana Fletcher and Kevin and Smith

Kevin on his baptism day

with Hermana Fletcher and their bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment