Monday, December 29, 2014

Hermana Schmidt's Week 14 Letter 12/29/14

From: Nicole Schmidt [mailto:nicole.schmidt@myldsmail.net]
Sent: 12/29/2014 12:32 PM
Subject: "I don't know if we all came from monkeys but I know one did!"

Hola a todos!!

So sorry I could not update last week!! But first off, thanks mom, brandy, and grandma for the packages! I absolutely loved them!! Got them all on Friday so it was a little late Christmas joy :)

So I hope everyone's christmas was wonderful! I thought we might get a white christmas here when it cooled ALL THE WAY DOWN to 88 degrees ;) But alas, no snow was seen. However, Christmas was just grand here! Here, Christmas eve or noche buena is wayyyy bigger than Christmas day. Especially the noche buena dinner... it's humonginormous!! I'm pretty sure i'm still full from the one we had at a member's house, and i'll probably still be full until the next christmas haha.

But, Christmas day was wonderful as well. We taught a lesson to Nayelin (She's 10, Sonia is her grandma, and her mom who was a member passed away) well in the lesson she said "When can I get baptized?! I'm getting desperate here!"She's so sweet and reminds me a lot of my little sister Danni. Well we gotta wait to give her a baptismal date until Sonia gets one which should be this week! :) But we taught her lesson 1 and wow.. teaching about how our savior, Jesus Christ, appeared to Joseph Smith with our Heavenly Father... it was just incredible. I know Jesus lived and died for us, but even more so, he lives for us. He truly did appear and restore his church on the earth because of his infinite love for each of us. There was something really beautiful about testifying of that on Christmas.

Angel is also doing great! We are pushing his date back so that he feels more ready. He's really working on his Word of wisdom addictions which is just wonderful to see him changing. He comes to church, on time, every week! He is great and we are praying for a baptism for him before Hermana Fletcher finishes her mission. But, when we taught him the Word of Wisdom he was nervous but said really firmly "Can I just tell you something? I had a dream I was fighting with the devil and I pushed him down and I said I BEAT YOU!!"

Needless to say he's really hopeful and so are we to kick these addictions right out the door! :)

So Smith and Kevin. They are a hoot. Not only did they drop in on my Skype call to my family (they claim just to say hi to my family but they haven't stopped talking about Calli or Jessi since). In the middle of one of our lessons Smith asked, "Did we come from monkeys?" And so our lesson turned into a whole of 1 Nephi 13:22 and explaining we don't know how God works. They were satisfied and then Kevin said, "Well I don't know if we all came from monkeys, but I know one did" (pointing to Smith). These boys. But Kevin said he really wants to get baptized!! When they are younger than 18 they have to wait three months unless they get bishop permission, so we are helping him get that permission! yay!

Well I don't have much else to update on, so I'll share some of my thoughts from my first 3 months in the mission.

I don't know why but I feel really strongly I should share what has been my strength and comfort. Well first and foremost, being a missionary is wonderful. I love it!! However, there are really really really hard times. But, I have been reading in Deuteronomy chapter 2, verse 7: "These forty years (3 months) the lord thy god hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing”.  I have truly had the hardest moments in my entire life. Sometimes I'm tempted to think of what I'm lacking (family, Harry potter movies, chick fil a..) but like this scripture says- The lord hath truly been with me', so I really haven't lacked anything!!

I've never needed him more and I've never felt him more. I've never felt more driven to my knees or a more fervent desire to pour out my whole soul to the Almighty being who not only created me but is creating me. But I have truly found strength from the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I often think of this quote from Elder Holland:

"I am convinced missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. How could it be easy for us if it was never, ever easy for Him? If he could come forward in the night, kneel down, fall on his face, bleed from every pore, and cry äbba, father (papa), if this cup pass, let it pass then Little wonder that salvation is not a whimsical or easy thing for us. If you wonder if there isn't an easier way, you should remember you aren't the first one to ask that. Someone a lot greater and a lot grander asked a long time ago if there wasn't an easier way. When you struggle, when you are rejected, when you a spit upon and cast out and made a hiss and a byword, you are standing with the best life this world has ever known, the only pure and perfect life ever lived... The living Son of the Living God knows all about your sorrows and afflictions. The only way to eternity is through Him, the way, the truth and life".

My Friends and family,

This is so not easy.

But,

This is so worth it.

With love,

Hermana Schmidt

In their apartment

A YSA gave her this tie from her ward, she has the funniest frown

At least she is eating

I have not received an explanation on this photo

Injury from walking on her hands in the wrong place

Roomies

View at the Beach

with Hermana Fletcher

Name tags

with Hermana Fletcher

Cool editing feature

Pillowcase we sent her

Pj's I sent her

other gifts

Roommates

DR Skies

She wanted us to see all of the wires everywhere, I only noticed the clothes drying everywhere

How they get clean water

At a regional meeting

Ocean

Just her tag

Ocean

Ocean

Ocean

Packages received



No comments:

Post a Comment